The talented Paul Irish and Divya Manian, just yesterday, released what they call the “HTML5 Boilerplate.” The product of years of experience, this is easily the most comprehensive starting template for every new project that I’ve ever seen.
HTML5 Boilerplate is the professional badass’s base HTML/CSS/JS template for a fast, robust and future-proof site.
After more than two years in iterative development, you get the best of the best practices baked in: cross-browser normalization, performance optimizations, even optional features like cross-domain ajax and flash. A starter apache .htaccess config file hooks you the eff up with caching rules and preps your site to serve HTML5 video, use @font-face, and get your gzip zipple on.
Boilerplate is not a framework, nor does it prescribe any philosophy of development, it’s just got some tricks to get your project off the ground quickly and right-footed.
Why it is Awesome?
- Cross-browser compatible (IE6, yeah we got that.)
- HTML5 ready. Use the new tags with certainty.
- Optimal caching and compression rules for grade-A performance
- Best practice site configuration defaults
- Mobile browser optimizations
- Progressive enhancement graceful degradation … yeah yeah we got that
- IE specific classes for maximum cross-browser control
- Handy .no-js and .js classes to style based on capability
- Want to write unit tests but lazy? A full, hooked up test suite is waiting for you.
Take a look and download it: Boilerplate